28.4.08

The End of Ski Season...Or Close to It

As ski season comes to a close, I look around wondering what might be a good alternative form of adrenaline-charged, problem-solving, outside fun. Some have suggested cycling.

Being addicted to skiing is new for me in the first place, so I began digging around online, re: what skiiers do when the season is over. Short of taking off to central America, Australia, or some other Southern Hemisphere venue, the general consesus seems to include the following:

1. When you aren't skiing, stay in good shape. Incorporate the following elements:
  • cardiovascular
  • strength or lifting
  • stretching/ yoga/ flexibility.

It seems that fitness, for skiing, is similar to fitness for other activities. (Surprise!)

2. Inline skating/ rollerblading uses some of the same muscles as skiing. Personally, I haven't rollerbladed except as a little kid, but with some pads and all the hills in my neighborhood, this could be an interestingly revived activity.

3. Many ski resorts convert to moutain-biking areas during summer months. This could be a good adrenaline-charged alternative, but requires requisite equiptment. I'd have to learn about bicycles.

4. Cross-Training Activites abound. These could include club soccer or frisbee or training for a triathalon.

What the web needs? A list of local clubs/groups for these types of activities. I'm sure there's something like that out there. A good research project for another date. Maybe I'll start with Tacoma, Washington.

No comments: